10 tips for fat loss
I am getting straight to the point here. You are reading this because you are somehow interested in burning fat. Being fit is a lifestyle process and not a Monday morning trend but if you want to jumpstart the process here are 10 tips you can follow under the right guidance and supervision and lose up to 5% body fat in just 10 days:
- Go sugar free! You can’t outrun a bad diet. So say goodbye to processed food. Our body uses high GI and GL sugary carbs as a first source of energy before it starts to burn fat. By limiting the sugary foods for 10 days, you force your body to start burning fat. Your flat stomach’s best friend is food that keeps your blood sugar at a steady state and not set you through hunger spikes and binging. So no bread, flour, gluten, rice and potato. More protein and healthy fat instead. A typical breakfast could smoked salmon with cream cheese, egg-white omelette and spinach for lunch and fish or beef with green salad for dinner. Use olive oil and apple cider vinegar for dressing. Limit your fruit to avocado; yes it’s a fruit!
- Drop sets! This is a resistance training technique where you perform an exercise at the maximum possible resistance for a number of reps. You then drop the weight immediately without a break and continue for more reps until you reach failure. Perform 3 sets and limit the reps of each set to 6 to ensure body definition and strength increase rather than bulkiness. Once you finish one exercise quickly proceed to the next one.
- Keep it short! Following drop sets weight training means your workout is going to be pretty intense so limit your workout to about 10-15 minutes to avoid overtraining. More in women than men, overtraining has been linked to increased levels of stress and cortisol which set your body into a defence mode trying to save fat instead of burning it. An intense but short daily workout will do just the trick.
- Keep it daily! Short workouts means they need to be daily over the 10 day period so to avoid overtraining your muscles follow a split routine programme (day 1: legs and abs, day 2: chest and triceps, day 3: shoulders and abs, day 4: back and biceps, etc.) to allow sufficient rest of muscle groups in between workouts.
- Lift heavy! Don’t worry, you won’t become Arnold. That would take a couple of hours of daily training and a lot more testosterone than you could possibly wish for. Lifting heavy weights in a drop set workout is one of the best ways to maximize fat burn in the shortest period of time without getting bulky.
Take your supplements! Sure it’s best to get your vitamins and fibre from food but if you want to have an unfair advantage over those sceptic minds who want to stay average, you need to make sure you stay fuelled up. While you stay away from certain food during the 10 day period it’s important to consider some good supplements. A quality product multivitamin, vitamins C, D3 and B complex especially during your sugar free diet when you will be limiting certain foods. Protein shakes and creatine are equally important when you train to ensure a progressive fat loss and not muscle loss. Go for protein shakes that contain less artificial sweeteners.
- Plan ahead! They say success is the residue of good planning. Record fat loss means you have to get the maximum results in the shortest time. That means no room for error. If you are going to go on a 10 day diet, it’s best to do that during a period of few or no social outings and dinner parties. Always pre-plan your meals to avoid derails and setbacks. However, this doesn’t mean you can’t leave home without your lunch box. There are some good choices out there if you happen to be out and about.
- Monitor your progress! This shall be done by photos and measurements. Before and after photos may sound vain, but it is amazing what emotional satisfaction people get once they see the hard work paying off. But apart from the mental boost, the idea is to know that the plan works and quantify its success so you can stay on track way past your 10 day programme.
- Korean Ginseng Tea! If you check the diet plan of body competitors you will find that almost everyone is on green tea. The truth is tea in general has been associated with fat loss. However the one that I have found the best in getting rid of the bloating and keep the stomach flat is Korean ginseng tea. This is because among other health benefits, this tea is a great blood sugar stabiliser. Korean Ginseng (the brand) is a great product out there not just for taste but also results. So cheers to that!
- Clock in your cycle! Changes in hormones, bloating, cravings as well as decrease in your iron level could affect the results of your 10 day diet. Best to schedule your diet to start after your menstrual cycle.